Individual assignment 2 -- summarize an article
Note that this assignment is only for bachelor students
In this assignment you should read and summarize a recent conference article on the topic of machine translation. Each student will choose there own article, which should not be older than from 2013. The article should be a scientific paper and have at least 6 pages of content. Some of the conferences below also have tracks with other types of papers, that can be much shorter. Suitable conferences to choose an article from are:
- Machine translation conferences (most articles are suitable, as long as they have at least 6 pages of content)
- Workshops on Statistical Machine Translation (WMT) (click on the "Workshops" link)
- Syntax and Structure in Statistical Translation (SSST) (click on the "Workshops" link)
- MT Summit
- Association for Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA)
- European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT)
- International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT)
- Other major NLP conferences (the paper must have MT as its main focus and have at least 6 pages of content)
- Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL)
- European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL)
- North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL)
- Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP)
- The International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING)
2A: Select an article
You have to select an article and email the full reference of the article to Sara by the latest on May 16. Each student should use a different article. If more than one student picks the same article, preference will be given to the student who emailed first. The other students will have to choose a new article. Do not start doing your summary until you have received confirmation of your choice of article. If you wish to start early on doing your summary you may email your preference before May 16.
2B: Summarize your article
Your main task is to write a summary of the article. In addition you should also write a short evaluation of how useful and novel you think the method presented in the paper is. Your text should be about 1 A4 page. Your summary can be written in English or Swedish. Make sure that your summary contains a full reference to the article you sumarize.
Email your summary as a pdf file to Sara (first_name dot last_name at lingfil dot uu dot se). The deadline for this task is June 3.
If you have any questions regarding this task, contact Sara.