Machine Learning: Introduction
- Introduction [Slides]. Basic concepts of machine learning.
- Basic methodology. Training and test data. Evaluation. [Slides]
- Major approaches to machine learning. [Slides]
The text book for this part of the course is Mitchell (1997)
Students are recommended to read at least chapters 1 and 5 before
the first intensive week.
The assignment for this part consists of two parts:
The written report should be maximum five pages and handed in before 19 October
(one report per group).
- Define a well-posed learning problem (according to the definition in chapter 1)
in the area of language technology.
- Select three of the major learning methods that are treated in the book and
discuss how each of them could be applied to the learning problem you have defined.