Uppsala Persian Dependency Treebank: UPDT
Copyright © 2013 Mojgan Seraji
Uppsala Persian Dependency Treebank (UPDT) is a dependency-based syntactically annotated corpus. The treebank consists of 6000 sentences (151,671 tokens) of written text in CoNLL-format which has been developed through a bootstrapping procedure involving the open source data-driven dependency parser MaltParser (Nivre et al., 2006), and manual validation of the annotation.
The treebank data is extracted from the open source, validated Uppsala Persian Corpus (UPC) created from on-line material containing newspaper articles and common text on various topics (e.g. culture, technology, fiction, and art). The corpus is annotated with part-of-speech tags.
The treebank annotation scheme is based on Stanford Typed Dependencies (de Marneffe et al., 2006; de Marneffe and Manning, 2008). The entire dependency relations used in the annotation including the guidelines for sentence segmentation, tokenization, and morphological annotation are described in detail in the Uppsala Persian Dependency Treebank Annotation Guidelines.
The treebank has been licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License and can be downloaded below:
The UPDT has sequentially been split into 10 parts, of which segments 1-8 are used for training (80%), 9 for development (10%), and 10 for test (10%) sets.
Feedback and bug reports
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with feedback and bug reports.
: The treebank's project leader and developer
We would like to thank Recorded Future Inc. for their contribution and
financial support for the development of the treebank.
1. De Marneffe, Marie-Catherine, Bill MacCartney, and Christopher D. Manning. 2006. Generating typed dependency parses from phrase structure parses. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC).
2. De Marneffe, Marie-Catherine, and Christopher D. Manning. 2008. Stanford Typed Dependencies Representation. In Proceedings of the COLING’08 Workshop on Cross-Framework and Cross-Domain Parser Evaluation.
3. Nivre J., Hall J., and Nilsson J. 2006. Maltparser: A data-driven parser-generator for dependency parsing. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC).
4. Seraji Mojgan, Carina Jahani, Beáta Megyesi, and Joakim Nivre. 2014. A Persian Treebank with Stanford Typed Dependencies. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), 796-801. Reykjavik, Iceland. [pdf]
5. Seraji Mojgan, Carina Jahani, Beáta Megyesi, and Joakim Nivre. 2013. Uppsala Persian Dependency Treebank Annotation Guidelines. Department of Linguistics and Philology, Uppsala University. [pdf]
6. Seraji Mojgan, Beáta Megyesi, and Joakim Nivre. 2012. Bootstrapping a Persian Dependency Treebank. Linguistic Issues in Language Technology 7(18), 1-10. [pdf]